5/20/2008

Beatles Sing Along at Hillside Cafe

The Hillside Cafe is the second-best kept secret in Nutley. If you get a chance to catch a show there, do it.

Last Saturday they had a Beatles sing-along. Two shows, in fact. We made it to the second show - and it was a blast.

We went to the 8 pm show and had a great time. I actually learned the CORRECT words to a few songs (Hey Jude - not someone to grow old with/someone to perform with and Polythene Pam - not she was exact to be build/she was attractively built).

You should have seen that young man on keyboards, folk and electric. Really outstanding. The whole band and lead singers were all terrific.

Dave “John” Kleiner (Folk Project of North Jersey; Beatles A to Z workshop leader)

Jeff “Paul” Little (MSU Music Student, Dante’s Inferno band member)

Joey “Ringo” Cola (Sorrows; CBS/Pavilion Recording Artist)

Paul “George” Little (SVA Student; Mother named him after Paul McCartney)


No surprises - except we knew all the words to the first 19 songs before intermission. Then afterwards, the 14 songs in the second half were electric!

It's good to have something for us old people to do, to keep us off the street, and we got to eat cookies and snacks!

I'd suggest for next year, perhaps a Simon & Garfunkle sing-along.

Oh, btw, the band said the folks at the early show didn't sing as much or as well as us at the 8 o'clock show.

One other note, one or two tables over from where we sat, so many people looked familiar. Then, I realized they (like the drummer in the show) were also in the Nutley Little Theater troupe.

Now, if I can only find my Abbey Road CD, I can really rock!

The most unusual thing happens when I go to public Nutley places and events, strangers whisper their screen names in my ear. How am I supposed to know if you are really Pops or Olf or MrsMeyer or SueG, or SmokeandMirrors? (I actually have met three of those four). I guess if you go to the trouble to find me and tell me your screenname, the least I could do is believe you.

I expect to be at the Memorial Day observances in town on Monday. I'll probably be carrying a camera, if that helps you.

If you think it's me, Pogo, just say the magic word, or one of the titles of my books followed by your screen name.

Maybe I'll see you around.

Click here for a rare glimpse of my camera and me


Thanks for stopping by the Old Nutley blog. Click on images for larger, close up view. Check out our web site at Old Nutley.

Copyright © 2008 by Anthony Buccino, all rights reserved. Photos and content may not be used for commercial purposes without written permission. Support artists and don't steal.




Support this web site, shop at Amazon through this link, thanks

 

No comments: